The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he.
Another attribute of GOD that is unlike us is His immutability. The more common word we use for it is His changelessness. As a GOD trait, that is a good thing. (We aren’t even going to go to the place we have seen where it is a huge negative in humans! NOT today.)
There is nothing about Him that is capricious. He has set “the rules”. Whether it is the laws of nature or moral laws. They don’t change. He doesn’t have “moods” that affect them. He doesn’t show favoritism. As GOD, these things aren’t part of His character.
When you think of a Rock, you think of something or Someone you can depend on. cf. Deuteronomy 32:4 (above). He is not swayed by changing circumstances. He just is there. Immovable. In the case of GOD, He had no beginning, no end and there is no variableness in Him. cf.James 1:16-17.
There are three specific ways in which GOD is changeless.
- He is changeless in His essence. He has no need to change or grow or improve. He is already perfect. cf. Malachi 3:6. He is unaffected by anything outside Himself to either improve Him or diminish Him or cause His glory to fade. Exodus 3:13-15. Was that in His mind as He was being beaten and all His “self-esteem” was being taken from Him leading up to the cross?
- It makes me stop and think about the basis of self-esteem and self confidence. No wonder He was able to be quiet before these earthly leaders when they were accusing Him, crowds were screaming and chaos seemed to be reigning supreme all around Him! He is/was changeless and self-existent…so far we have learned that much. Those two traits alone give a completely different twist to His behavior!
- He is changeless in His attributes. The attributes He has now are the same ones He has had for all eternity. He had them at, 5,000 yrs. ago and continues to have them now! His veracity/truth is the same now as it always has been. cf. Psalm 119:89-91. His love is eternal. cf. Jeremiah 31:2-3. His mercy is endless. cf. Psalm 100:5…to name just a few.
- He is changeless in His counsel. His will never varies. Here are some Scriptures to look at for the questions you have when you say, “But didn’t He change his mind here? cf. Genesis 6:5-8; cf. Numbers 23:19-20; and what about I Samuel 15:29?” If you look closely, I think you will agree that GOD is accommodating His language regarding Himself to our limited capacities…just as He does in other places describing Himself as having arms and other human body parts.
- He sometimes changes the ways in which He deals with us, but He doesn’t change His will. cf. Job 23:13-14. His purpose never alters because He is omniscient and omnipotent. There is never a need for Him to change His will or revise His decrees. cf. Psalm 33:10-11.
GOD doesn’t change. Only He is totally reliable because reliability is not only dependent on His desire to meet a need, but the ability and resources to do it as well. GOD has both! The permanence/unchangeableness of God’s character guarantees fulfillment of His promises. cf.Isaiah 54:10.
Isn’t it comforting to know that we can take our prayers to a GOD who doesn’t change?
His character remains the same. As you read those Scripture passages, if you are “in Christ”, you will be comforted to know His steadfast love remains the same for you; His faithfulness continues; He is totally and completely dependable…yet not boring!
What attributes of GOD are encouraging to you?